Earlier today, Twitter released some stats showing just how much of a global social media reach the Academy Awards really had this year.
According to the Twitter Media team, in a 12-hour period starting around the start of red carpet coverage:
- There were 19.1 million tweets sent about the Oscars that were viewed a total of 3.3 billion times all over the world.
- Individually, 37 million people looked at all these tweets.
- Those Tweets were sent by more than 5 million people.
Of course, the celebrity selfie was the absolute biggest moment of the night, and it has now been retweeted over three million times.
Here are the stats Twitter collected for the selfie that broke the internet:
- Seen by an audience across Twitter.com and Twitter’s mobile and desktop apps by 8.1 million people — a total of 26 million times.
- It was also embedded on 13,711 web pages. Those embedded Tweets were seen 6.8 million times by 5 a.m. ET on Monday.
- Together, the two make for a combined impressions figure of 32.8 million for Ellen’s Tweet.
Photo Credit: Ellen DeGeneres