SurveyU: Five Facts About College Age Youth
- 20,450,833 U.S. College Students
- College students outnumber residents in every state except California, New York and Texas;
- 76% of students attend a public college, 24% attend private college
- 58% are female, 42% are male
- Annual amount spent on College Tuition/Room and Board: $333 Trillion
- Bonus: There are 20 million college age students, greater than any state's population except CA.
SurveyU: College Students & Technology
- 96% Own Mobile Phone
- 87% Own iPod or MP3 Player
- 86% Own Laptop
- 74% own Video Game Console
SurveyU: Media Consumption Habits of College Age Students
- 37 hours a week online
- 11 hours a week watching TV
- 4 hours a week reading print publications
- 4 hours a week listening to radio
Things to Remember When Marketing to College Students
- This generation values authenticity and can smell marketing BS a mile away.
- Millennial's are citizens of the global village (multi-racial/cultural/lingual).
- This generation is jacked up on technology, especially mobile.
- Just go out there and try new things.
- Know that this media is not measurable in same way as traditional media.
- Gen Y are 'Neo-Frugalists': Frugal is the new hip (1 of 3 teens affected by economy)
- 90% of college students read their
campus newspaper. Even though they are digital, campus paper is still
- Don't even bother marketing to Asian youth, just know Asian youth culture is trendsetting.
- 80% of teens have gone to "official company" website to get more information.
- LET GO a little bit. You (and your client) can't control everything.
- Only 30% of youth have "friended" a brand.
- 90% of teens disapprove of advertisers texting them.
- Have the audience talk to the audience by deputizing your core demo (college kids) to carry your marketing message to itself for your brand.