Derek E.Baird > About > Publications > Portfolio > Recommendations > The Gen Z Frequency
Anyone who tries to make a distinction between education and entertainment doesn’t know the first thing about either.” —Marshall McLuhan
Author and youth cultural marketing strategist, Derek E. Baird’s professional expertise centers around the intersection of kids & teen media, youth marketing & communications, educational technology, and helping brands understand how to connect with teens, kids, and their parents and provide insights into how they use technology, consume content & use social media now and in the future.
Derek’s collaborative approach and leadership capabilities have led to working on youth-focused projects in the areas of brand marketing, strategic communications, program development, kids privacy (public policy), digital and social interaction, creative development, cultural insights, social impact and kidtech product development.
He's worked with leading brands including The Walt Disney Company, Facebook, Kia Motors, Simon Wiesenthal Center, National Geographic, The Library of Congress, the U.S. Senate Committee on Health, Education and Labor, Yahoo! Southeast Asia and leading TV networks + SVOD platforms. Derek has worked as an adjunct professor at the Pepperdine University Graduate School of Education & Psychology (GSEP), advises early-stage education technology start-up, holds patents focused on child trust, safety, and privacy (COPPA), and is a recipient of the Disney Inventor Award.
Derek's research, articles, and academic work can be found in leading the USA and international peer-reviewed journals and magazines. His new book, 'The Gen Z Frequency,' is being published by Kogan Page Publishing.
Writing + Publications
Derek has co-authored numerous peer-reviewed journal articles and book chapters on new media, web strategy, social media, user-experience/design, educational technology, edutainment and online communities.
What Derek Has Done. (So Far.)
- Manages social media and content strategy, production and development for several YouTube Channels with a combined total of 1.7+ million views as well as Facebook and Twitter channels with a combined 80k+ followers.
- View portfolio
- Developed a Gen Z tween content and social media strategy for Walt Disney World that was able to grow a tween-focused Instagram from zero to 238k followers in 18 months. The strategy included a youth influencer driven marketing program and an Instagram contest to engage tweens in relevant WDW social content.
- Developed a creative strategy to grow a Gen Z tween-focused YouTube channel for The Walt Disney Company from zero to over 80k subscribers and 33,751,089 views.
- Works with celebrity, talent agents, and agency clients to help them leverage social media, marketing, engage with fandoms, create social content and help them build online communities and creator networks and influencers to build, grow and engage their fan base.
- His blog posts’ have been re-published in several leading publications including Business Week, Ypulse.com and Chicago Sun-Times.
- Top contributing author to Virtual Reality Pop on Medium.
- Educational Media Advisory Board for the Digital Alliance, Togetherville (acquired by The Walt Disney Company), Yackpack.com and the National Advisory Board for the Ypulse Youth Marketing Conference.
- As a consultant, collaborated with the Library of Congress, the U.S. Senate Committee on Health, Education and Labor, Facebook, The National College of Ireland, The Simon Weisenthal Center, United Nations/UN-GAID to develop social media policy on kids use of social media, privacy, digital and media literacy, online communities, social impact & educational programs.
- At Yahoo!, Derek was part of a small internal start-up team that designed and launched an educational social networking community and creators network for teachers, parents, and kids. He also managed the Yahoo! for Teachers Advisory Board.
- Derek led social media workshops for Yahoo! at the University of Chicago, the University of San Diego and the University of Texas, Austin as well as Yahoo! HQ’s in both NYC and Silicon Valley.
- As part of the TechStars program, worked with singer-songwriter Samantha Murphy on The Highway Girl web series and creator networks. The show is available on the web, airs on Australian TV, SVOD through Comcast, and via Roku.
- Worked with Knowledge Essentials author Amy James to produce video segments and curriculum resources on social media, educational, early childhood development and parenting issues for CBS News 9.
- M.A. in Education Technology from the Graduate School of Education and Psychology (GSEP) at Pepperdine University. Holds Masters Certificates in both Project Management (University of Utah) & Online Digital Strategies (University of San Francisco) and Gamification (UDEMY).
- In his role as Director of Consumer Product Development at The Walt Disney Company, Derek worked on family digital media, entertainment, second screen and social web experiences at Disney. He also holds a Disney Inventor Award for patents related to social media, entertainment technology, kids privacy (COPPA) and mobile technologies.
Speaking & Presentations
- Derek has presented at several national educational media & technology events including the National Science Digital Library (NSDL) Conference, the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) Conference on Cyberbullying and American Federation of Teachers (AFT) Technology Conference.
- He also a frequent guest speaker at colleges, talk radio shows and has been quoted in numerous print and digital publications.
Indie Documentary Films I've Funded
Charities I Support
Contact Derek via email or reach out on LinkedIn or Twitter
PLEASE NOTE: Everything written here is my personal opinion and not that of my employer(s) and/or clients.